In 2011 reception student Harry William McGregor represented the fifth generation of the McGregor family to attend Crafers Primary School. His great-great grandfather, William, attended the first official premises on Cox Creek Road. The history of the school, however, goes even further back.
Crafers Primary School was initially licensed by the Education Department in 1866. With no school building available, Head Teacher Edward Smith taught from his home on Atkinson Road, Crafers. Two years later the first school room, known as Paxlease, was built on Cox Creek Road overlooking Crafers village. By 1871, over ninety students had enrolled.
During the early years of the 20th century numbers continued to grow, so a new school was built at the current site on Piccadilly Road. When it opened on Friday 31 August 1928, it was described in The Register newspaper as ‘a handsome stone-and-brick building’ which could accommodate 180 children. This brick building still remains.
The gardens and trees that are remarkable features of the school’s grounds owe their existence to a number of former Head Teachers, including Hamilton Pillar (1946-1959). An industrious gardener, Pillar spent evenings working in the gardens and building the stone wall terraces. He also planted hundreds of pine trees with the help of the school community.
During the late 1970s new buildings were added to the school. This included the Ruth Beare Hall, named after a teacher who had taught at the school for over 35 years. In 1980 a two-storey classroom block, library and gymnasium with adjoining kitchen and canteen facilities were added.
The year 2008 saw the addition of the John Nielsen Building, established for the Out of Hours Care Program and Indonesian language studies, and acknowledging the long-term contributions made by current Deputy Principal.
During 2009 to 2011, a Library/Resource Centre was built. Funding from the Federal Government also enabled the renovation of the original administration area and art rooms. In the pine forest, a Fun-Pack sports court was installed.
The history of Crafers Primary school is more than the development of its buildings and grounds. Like the McGregor family, other local families have retained connections with the school. Crafers has been known throughout its history for its strong sense of community, the social awareness and creativity of its students, the tireless voluntary contributions of parents and guardians and the dedication of its teaching staff.
A Brief History of the Crafers Primary School Logo
As a result of research into school newsletters, photographs and oral history, it is clear that for the first 100 years of the school the vast majority of students did not wear a uniform and there was no requirement for them to do so. Some children wore generic uniforms, such as checked dresses for girls, but there was no identifiable school logo used on clothing or on stationary and other items.
School newsletters from the 1970s however reveal a gradual shift towards encouraging the wearing of uniforms and along with this change the idea arose to include a school logo. Although no evidence has been found in School Council or Welfare Club minutes or in newsletters, oral history has suggested that children and their families were encouraged to suggest a logo design.
In August 1976 a flier with a tear off slip went home with the newsletter asking parents to choose between two logos – a child and pine tree figure and a leaf motif. These were to make their debut on both the school letterhead and other stationary and significantly on new uniforms. Options for uniforms for girls and boys started out fairly limited but further possibilities were added each year, adapting to fashion trends and comfort for children. The logo that was chosen was the child and tree within a rectangular border. This remained the logo for many years.
In 1992 a new updated logo was introduced still with the child and tree as the main components but bordered by a shield. The tag line “Pathways to Excellence” was adopted at this time and a Vision statement for the school was also launched.
In that decade Year 7 students were allowed to design their own windcheater and were offered the option to wear a different Year 7 only Polo shirt.
In 2016 as part of the 150th celebrations, the Governing Council contracted a school parent who is a graphic designer to refresh the child and tree logo and incorporate into it an acknowledgment of our anniversary. The logo was accepted by the school community and now a version based on this, but without the tagline, has been developed.
It is clear that while the logo has grown and changed over the last 40 years, it has always honoured the original design.
*Please see accompanying images from newsletters which were used as part of the evidence for this history.
6 Dec 2017